Principal Government Officials
President: Blaise Compaore
Prime Minister: Tertius Zongo
- It was formerly known as Upper Volta and adopted its current name after it gained its independence from France August 5, 1960.
- The official language is French since Burkina Faso was colonized by France. Other languages spoken include Mòoré, Gourma, Fulfulde, Dioula, Tamasheq.
- Burkina Faso has a population of 16.3 million.
- The Mossi is the largest ethnic group in Burkina Faso.
- Want to speak a little Mòoré? “Yam Kibaré?” (How are you?) And your response: “Laafi Bala, La Yamba?” (I am fine and you?)
- Gold is Burkina Faso’s main export, followed by cotton and animal products.
- About 80% of the population relies on subsistence agriculture.
- Burkina Faso is home to 60 different ethnic groups, each with their own variety of folk music.